It's all about analogue
“The enlargement of a snapshot does not simply render more precise what in any case was visible, though unclear: it reveals entirely new structural formations of the subject“
The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction
Regularly open Thursday, Friday and Saturday,
10:00am – 6:00pm and other days by appointment.
Offering equipment with expert assistance, SW Darkroom is a sanctuary to produce exhibition standard work or experimental processes in a spacious and calm environment with minimal distractions. Contact us if you would like to come have a look, we would be happy to show you around the space.
SW DARKROOM OFFERS
– Artist workshops
– Technical Assistance
– Artist residencies
Facilities & Equipment
• Private enlarger cubicles for colour or black/white, suitable for single or double enlarger flash process
• Imacon film scanner
• Noritsu 1800 film scanner
• New film processing machines, dedicated colour and black/white processing
• Large Black and White Printing, up to 54 inches
• Colour Printing up to 20″ X 24″ with Colenta machine
• Print 35, 120, 4×5 or 8×10 negatives
• 2145mm x 1585mm sink with troughs, custom made for the darkroom with large black/white printing in mind
• Multiple trays, all chemicals provided
• Alternative process printing, including platinum palladium
• Booking availabilities in 4 hour slots, or for the whole day with technical assistance provided
• Viewing wall in natural light, with comfortable seating area
• Viewing walls with daylight lighting
• Kettle, coffee machine and fridge
• Library with photography, darkroom technique books and magazines for perusal
• Auto and Bike parking on site
Bookings & Price List
FILM DROP OFF FORM
NOTE: Our new film processing machines will be running16th March 2023. You can either drop film off in person or mail to us: SW Darkroom, Royal Victoria Patriotic Building, John Archer Way, B3, London UK, SW18 3SX. If you drop off in person, please leave the film drop off form information with film. If we are not open, you can drop off in the red box at our entrance door. Please note we have a one week turnaround time on film processing.
News and Events
SW Darkroom Open House Party!
Friday 31 March 5:00 – 8:00pm Join us for drinks and nibbles and help us celebrate our renovated space and new equipment! Prize drawings for services will be given away every half hour.
SW Darkroom is open!
Thursday, Friday and Saturday 10 – 6pm and other days by appointment. Come see us soon!
"I had an amazing time learning how to print using the darkroom. The instructor was really friendly and helpful. She worked hard to ensure that I walked away with some darkroom prints to be proud of, so much so that I stayed an hour longer than I was booked in for. Everything was taught in a very easy way and I was printing independently by the end of the workshop. I'd definitely recommend the darkroom and will be visiting again:)" Theo Hembury
"SW Darkroom is a sanctuary for photography. I took part in an introduction to black and white printing. The experience was incredible, I learned so much and enjoyed myself. I would recommend anyone interested in analogue photography to visit and give printing a go." Noah Bier
Royal Victoria Patriotic Building
John Archer Way
Rear Courtyard Basement 3